Nigeria frees last group of 130 kidnapped schoolchildren

A final group of 130 Nigerian schoolchildren freed by the government on yesterday, and expected to be reunited with familes today ending eight months of ordel.

These children were among more than 300 pupils and 12 staffs seized from St. Mary Catholic School last month in the country’s worst kidnapping, according to Reuters.

They are due to be taken to Minna later on Monday to meet their relatives in time for Christmas celebrations, President Bola Tinubu’s spokesperson said.
One hundred students were released on December 8, while 50 pupils escaped in the immediate hours after they were kidnapped.

The abduction caused outrage over worsening insecurity in northern Nigeria, where armed gangs frequently target schools for ransom. School kidnappings surged after Boko Haram militants abducted 276 girls from Chibok in 2014.

Presidency spokesperson Bayo Onanuga said in a post on X on Sunday that the latest release followed “amilitary-intelligence-driven operation,” but did not provide details.
It was unclear whether the children were freed through negotiations with their captors – or payments to them – or in a security raid. Details about the kidnapped staff were also not provided.

The Catholic Diocese of Kontagora thanked federal and state authorities, security agencies, and humanitarian partners for their role in securing the children’s freedom.

Mass kidnappings for ransom have become a grim feature of life in northern and central Nigeria, where armed gangs, known locally as bandits, exploit weak security and vast ungoverned rural terrain.

U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened military action in Nigeria, accusing it of mistreating Christians. The Nigerian government says armed groups target both muslims and Christians. It has repeatedly vowed to end the scourge, but attacks persist despite military operations and negotiations.

Share this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *