The Nigerian government has secured the release of 100 schoolchildren a month after they were kidnapped in the northern part of the country, Reuters reported citing local broadcaster Channels TV.
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) had said that 100 children and 12 school staff were kidnapped on November 21 by gunmen at St. Mary’s Catholic boarding school in Papiri, a hamlet in Niger state.
Fifty pupils managed to escape in the following hours, but since then there had been no update on the whereabouts or conditions of the other children, some as young as six, and the missing school staff. Channels Television did not immediately provide details about the release.

The CAN and Niger state authorities said they were not officially notified of the children’s release.
“We are not officially aware and have not been duly notified by the federal government. We hope and pray it’s true and will be looking forward to when the remaining are released,” said Daniel Atori, spokesperson for the head of CAN in Niger state.
The school attack put a spotlight on the persistent kidnappings in Nigeria more than 10 years after the Chibok mass abductions, at a time when the country is under scrutiny from U.S. President Donald Trump over its alleged ill-treatment of Christians.
Earlier on Sunday, a U.S. congressional delegation met with Nigeria’s national security adviser Nuhu Ribadu in Abuja, where “discussions focused on counter-terrorism cooperation, regional stability, and strengthening the Nigeria-U.S. security partnership,” Ribadu said.
Recently, U.S. President Trump forwarded cynical criticism against Nigeria, saying the country does little to protect the Christian community from attacks by militants.














